Monday, April 12, 2010

The Introduction (Day 1)

Well because I've spent the past 30 minutes trying to come up with a clever title for my blog page, I refuse to fill out profile information until later.

I haven't blogged in a couple of years. I actually stopped blogging at the most convenient time to continue blogging. I moved to Paris, had loads of free time on my hands and decided to employ said free time by taking naps. Last year napping was my preferred way to pass the time. I'd be having coffee with a living person, having fine conversation, yet incessantly checking my watch because I wanted to be sure to get home in time to nap before I had to pick up the boys from school. I was living it up in Paris.

I've spent the past 12 years of my life working and/or going to school full-time that I'd never had any time to loaf. Before I came here I worked full-time, went to school full-time and nannied overnights and weekends. When I came to Paris and was only required to work 6 hours a day and had every afternoon off, I had no idea what to do with myself. Initially, I had grand plans to write novels, study art and read the classics. Instead I spent 10 months catching up on all the sleep I'd missed out on in my early 20's. It wasn't unusual for me to show up at the boys' school with lines imprinted on my cheek and forehead at 4 o'clock in the afternoon.

However, now that my time here is limited (as I'll be returning State-side in less than 5 months), I'm motiviated to make the most of this ideal work schedule. I'm thinking of returning to the self-deprecating world of comedy and I'd like to have some material worked out before I land.

The au pair world is a complete universe of its own. It's severed from all reality and I'm very much looking forward to re-acclimating to Planet Earth; where people aren't concerned with where they will go to 'Uni' (this means college in the UK) next year, or which club has free entry on each night of the week. I'm significantly older than most of the people I meet here. The disparity is never more obvious than when I opt to go home at 9:30 on a Saturday night while everyone else suits up for the Party Boat, docking at midnight.

I plan to use this blog to bitch and moan and complain and be ruthless. I will write as if nobody reads this and I hope that if anyone's feelings get hurt in the interim, you will forgive me and attribute it to my comic genius. And if you don't think I'm funny, well then, you are justified in thinking I'm an asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment