Friday, May 7, 2010

Lesions of Awna

My eczema returns every spring in full force, this year not withstanding. I went to the doctor to renew my prescription a few days ago, which led to my memory of getting it for the first time when I was a kid. Now, it's limited to my hands but as a kid I had it on my face. One day I went to school with a band-aid on my cheek to keep me from scratching it. During recess, I was on one of the swings and some kid ponied up next to me and declared, "If you don't let me have this swing, I'm going to make it so you need a band-aid on your other cheek too." I don't remember what I did next, but I assume I let him have the swing because I don't recall wearing two band-aids on my face that day.

And because I wasn't sure how to spell eczema, I looked it up in the dictionary where it is defined as this: an inflammatory condition of the skin characterized by redness, itching, and oozing vesicular lesions which become scaly, crusted, or hardened. Well now I just sound like a freak. I have never described my rash as oozing vesicular lesions, but I guess essentially that's what they are. I wish I had known that when I was a kid. 20 years later, I have the perfect comeback: "If you take one more step toward my swing, I swear I'll smear my lesions all over your face, asshole."

No comments:

Post a Comment